There are wine shops that I love to frequent. They are staffed with knowledgeable and passionate salespeople, the vibe is like a party with your newest best friends, and the aesthetics are both welcoming and sophisticated. Usually, getting to these favorite shops entails a drive down to Soho, Greenwich Village or a flight to Berkeley.
This shop, however, is just 15 minutes from downtown...in Camillus. Don't let the suburban location fool you--The Savvy Wine Cellar is smart and urbane. How like Central New York, to put a wine shop like this in a location you'd least expect. But after only about seven weeks of business, their twice-weekly wine tastings have drawn repeat customers who are welcomed by name. Good luck finding a spot at the tasting counter--you might have to browse the shelves for a few minutes waiting your turn--as if that were a bad thing.
I was only there for a brief visit today--long enough to taste some intriguing new (to me) wines and snap some photos. I'll have to return to take a better look at what's on hand. But here are a few things to note:
- Love the dedicated row of New York wines--a nice selection they hope to expand.
- The atmosphere is festive and open. This isn't the place to go to be intimidated and overwhelmed.
- Wine Tastings take place Thursdays from 5:00 to 8:00 PM and Saturdays from 1:00 to 5:00 PM.
- Check out their website for specials as Riesling Month draws to a close.
- Staffer Neil Miller blogs on Finger Lakes wines at Stressing the Vine.
The Savvy Wine Cellar
5316 W. Genesee Street, Camillus NY 13031 (just past Dunkin Donuts when coming from Syracuse)
Phone: (315) 399-5133